Basic Resources For Families in the Winter
Every year, Action for Boston Community Development, Inc. (ABCD) serves thousands of needy families with fuel assistance, food, and holiday toys. This winter the need is greater than ever.
In response to the increasing number of Boston households unable to meet their basic needs for food and fuel, ABCD has launched a Winter Emergency Campaign to ensure that families can stay safe and warm, while looking forward to a more hopeful future.
The Winter Emergency Campaign provides heating help, food, warm winter clothing, and holiday toys to some of Boston’s neediest households, reaching an additional 10,000 families at risk of serious health problems or housing loss this winter.
How You Can Help
There are many ways you can make a difference by participating in ABCD's Winter Emergency Campaign.
- Adopt-a-Family. Our Adopt-a-Family program matches donors with a Boston household working to improve their lives. Donors help their sponsored family by filling a family's “wish list" during the winter months, and can choose to continue the relationship year-round—helping families in large ways and small which can prevent crisis and build a better future. Learn more and participate here.
- Fuel Assistance. Having a warm home a basic thing that can make all the difference. Help us keep families in need out of the cold. Learn more about the LIHEAP (Fuel Assistance) program here and donate to support it here.
- Volunteer your time. Volunteers are needed to sort and wrap toys and much more. If interested, please contact Carmen Farias, Volunteer Coordinator, at (617)348-6591 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Material donations. We are currently accepting donations of toys, warm winter clothing, bedding, and nonperishable food. You may drop off your donations at our central office, located at 178 Tremont St., Boston, or at any one of our neighborhood sites. (List of sites here.) We are accepting toys up until Friday, December 19th and any other donations through the end of the Winter Emergency Campaign in March.
- Financial contributions. Your donations go directly to helping Boston families, individuals and seniors this holiday season. Give online at our secure Donate Now page or donate by mail, addressed to:
Winter Emergency Campaign
Action for Boston Community Development, Inc.
178 Tremont Street
Boston, MA 02111
For questions please call the ABCD GiveLine at: (617) 348-6559. Thanks so much!